Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Managing Travel Demand to Address Congestion
Wednesday, August 31, 2011 from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM (CDT)
“Managing Travel Demand to Address Congestion”
Wednesday, August 31, 2011 (8:30 AM – 4:00 PM)
FHWA/FTA Chicago Urban Office
200 West Adams Street, Suite 330
The philosophy of “predict and provide” more capacity is often not a viable option for addressing traffic congestion and system performance issues in most urban areas. Rather, regions seek to make their existing transport system more efficient through the innovative application of management and operations strategies. One means for doing so is managing travel demand, commonly termed Travel Demand Management (TDM), providing enhanced choices to travelers in terms of how, when, where, and even, if they travel. The FHWA Office of Operations, is advancing a more contemporary approach to addressing traffic congestion in key urban corridors that integrates both demand-side and supply-side strategies. This includes a balanced consideration of demand- and supply-based strategies as management and operations strategies are planned in the short term as well as the long-term.
1. Articulate the opportunities and effectiveness of travel demand management as an effective management and operations strategy aimed at improving system efficiency.
2. Demonstrate the linkage between supply/active traffic management and demand strategies for all aspects of urban mobility challenges and articulate an integrated approach to congestion mitigation.
3. Provide a conceptual framework for travel management that can help to advance demand-side and supply-side strategies as integrated approach to congestion mitigation.
4. Demonstrate the application of the integration approach and attendant demand-side strategies to the local situation via a table-top exercise.
· Operations (TMC Managers, State and local DOT management)
· Planning (MPOs, Regional Planning, municipalities)
· Transit System Operators
· Transportation Demand Management Organizations (TMAs, traditional TDM organizations, Rideshare, and Vanpool Providers)
· Federal Highway/Federal Transit Representatives
· Special interest groups (environmental, sustainability groups, etc.)
· Public Agency Partners
When & Where
Federal Highway Administration
For more information, please contact Ralph Volpe at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 404-562-3637.